With up to 64 PCIe lanes provided by the Ryzen thread ripper CPUs, X399 motherboards offer a high level of connectivity and can, for example, support up to three PCIe NVMe SSDs and up to four graphics cards each with two 16 and 8 Connect lanes.
PCIe NVMe SSDs connect directly to the CPU on AMD's X399 motherboards, and entire 12 PCIe lanes are reserved by Threadripper for this purpose. This allows the extreme read and write rates of NVMe M.2 and U.2 SSDs to be used optimally without being slowed down by the data set being redirected by the chipset. The connection via four PCI Express 3.0 lanes per PCIe NVMe slot in U.2 or M.2 format enables enormously high data transfer rates of up to 32 Gbit / s, which is almost eight times as fast as SATA 6G.
The X399 chipset on Socket TR4 motherboards will be connected to the processor via four PCIe lanes as usual, and the X399 platform natively supports USB 3.1, so typically no additional USB controllers are needed to support the extremely fast USB Standard with maximum speeds of 10 Gbps per port. Main memory is operated on X399 motherboards in particularly fast quad-channel mode and via OC depending on the motherboard RAM clock rates beyond the 4000 MHz mark are possible.
As another feature, X399 mainboards support overclocking of the Ryzen thread ripper CPUs, and the motherboards with the TR4 socket, along with the threadripper processors, form AMD's enthusiast platform for gamers and content creators.
Features of the MSI MEG X399 Creation in E-ATX format
The MSI MEG X399 Creation is a motherboard in E-ATX format and has four PCI Express 3.0 slots for graphics cards, two of which are connected to the chipset with full 16- or 8-lanes. Additional expansion cards can be plugged into two PCIe x1 slots, and as an X399 motherboard, the MSI MEG X399 Creation also supports AMD's Crossfire and NVIDIA SLI technology for multi-GPU setups.
The special features of the MSI MEG X399 Creation motherboard at a glance:
- 4x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 / x16 / x8 / x8) for high-end graphics cards
- 1x USB 3.1: Type C & 14x USB 3.0 Type A and Type C & 3x M.2-Slot PCIe 3.0 x4
- 128 GB of DDR4 memory up to 3,600 MHz in quad-channel mode
- ETX format for particularly powerful gaming systems
- M.2 plug-in card with BT / WLAN module
- Modern UEFI BIOS including temperature monitoring
- Extensive RGB LED lighting, synchronizable via MSI Mystic Light
The board manages data carriers such as SSDs and hard disks via eight SATA 6G ports (including RAID support) as well as three M.2 slots, which are connected directly to the CPU with four PCI Express 3.0 lanes each. It also supports the advanced NVM Express protocol, which has been specifically optimized for highly parallelized disk access of modern PCIe SSDs.
A small highlight of the MSI MEG X399 Creation is also that the I / O panel on the back of the mainboard has a USB 3.1 connector with Type C socket. The new USB type C port is very thin and can finally be plugged in on both sides. USB 3.1 or USB 3.1 Gen 2 achieves maximum speeds of 10 Gbit / s per port. Two LAN ports, one USB 3.1 type A port, eight USB 3.0 ports and two USB 2.0 ports complete the peripheral port repertoire.
Further internal connections include two headers each for USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 for each 4 ports, several 4-pin headers for CPU and chassis fans, additional power connections for stable overclocking and, last but not least, the MSI MEG X399 Creation has a WLAN / BT Module in the form of an M.2 card. An RGB LED lighting over several zones emphasize the futuristic-looking heatspreader. The lighting can be configured and synchronized via MSI Mystic Light.
Note: Due to the size of the Ryzen Threadripper CPU, the TR4 socket differs greatly from conventional sockets. When inserting the CPU, please carefully observe the instructions in the assembly instructions of the CPU or the mainboard! It is an LGA socket! The pins are on the socket, not the CPU.
- Format: ATX
- Chipset: AMD X399
- Socket: TR4 (for Ryzen Threadripper)
- 8x DDR4 (2,666 MHz, using OC up to 3,600 MHz)
- Max. 128 GB
- 2x PCIe 3.0x16
- 2x PCIe 3.0 x16 (electric x8)
- Multi-GPU configurations: 4-way CrossFireX (16/8/16/8), 4-way SLI (16/8/16/8)
- 1x PCIe 2.0 x1
- 8x SATA 6G (RAID 0, 1, 10)
- 2x M.2 (M-Key, PCIe 3.0 x4 / SATA up to 32 Gbps, 2280)
- 1x M.2 (M-Key, PCIe 3.0 x4 / SATA with up to 32 Gbps, 22110)
- 2x USB 3.0 header (4 ports)
- 2x USB 2.0 header (4 ports)
- 10x 4-pin fan
- 2x 4-pin 5050 RGB
- 1x 3-pin addressable RGB (JRAINBOW)
- 1x 3-pin Corsair-RGB (JCORSAIR)
- 1x TPM module
- 3x 2-pin temperature sensor
- Power / Reset / Front Audio
- 2x USB 3.1 (1 × Type A and Type C each)
- 6x USB 3.0
- 2x USB 2.0
- 1x Gigabit LAN (Intel I211AT)
- 1x S / PDIF
- 5x audio (7.1 ALC1220)
- 1x CMOS switch
- 1x BIOS flashback switch
- 1x PS / 2 Combi port (keyboard / mouse)
- 1x 24-pin ATX12V (for motherboard)
- 2x 8-pin ATX12V (for motherboard)
- Special features: integrated LED lighting