The fifth generation Katana, named after the Japanese longsword, impresses with its reworked heatsink design, the new Kaze-Flex fan and its simple, well thought-out mounting system.
The Scythe Katana 5 at a glance:
- Easy installation without backplate
- High performance despite low height
- 92 mm silent fan with vibration dampers
- Nickel plated copper bottom plate & three 6mm heatpipes
- Does not block DIMM slots
- High compatibility with AMD and Intel
Scythe Katana 5: An evolutionary stage continues
The 5th generation offers a new, modern design, but without renouncing the key features of its predecessor models: The solid foundation of the processor cooler forms the nickel-plated copper base plate with three powerful heatpipes, each with a diameter of 6 millimeters. The height was even reduced compared to its predecessor, while the structure of the cooling fins is still inclined. The fan sits again at right angles to the base and blocks no memory banks thanks to its clever design.
The Scythe Katana 5 comes with a completely newly developed 92 mm fan: The Kaze Flex is PWM-controlled, operates in a speed range of 300 to 2,300 rpm and is quite quiet with a maximum of 28.83 db (A) , The outer edges of the fan are rubberized, thus ensuring a reduced vibration transmission and contribute to a reduced noise. The fluid-dynamic bearing of the Kaze-Flex fan is designed for 120,000 operating hours.
The Scythe Katana 5 attaches directly to the motherboard's retention module without a backplate, and is compatible with many Intel and AMD sockets, including the AM4 socket of the Ryzen processors. Removing the motherboard is therefore not necessary to install this cooler.
- Dimensions: 105 x 135 x 104 mm (W x H x D)
- Material: nickel-plated copper (heatpipes, bottom plate), aluminum (lamellas, cover plate)
- Weight: 560 g
- Heatpipes: 3x Ø 6 mm
- 1x 95 mm Kaze Flex PWM (max 2,300 rpm)
- Connection: 4-pin PWM
- Delivery volume: max. 83.04 m³ / h
- Static pressure: max. 2.29 mm H2O
- Overall volume: max. 28.83 dB (A)
- Intel Sockets: 775, 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156, 1366
- AMD socket: 754, 939, 940, AM2, AM2 +, AM3, AM3 +, AM4, FM1, FM2, FM2 +
- Manufacturer's warranty: 3 years
- 1x cooler
- 1x fan
- 1x mounting clamps for Intel (push-down mechanism, already mounted)
- 1x mounting clamp for AMD
- 4x screws for mounting clamps (already assembled)
- 2x fan retaining clips
- 1x thermal grease
- 1x instructions