The Samsung PM9A1 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD at a glance:
Modern M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD with 512 GB capacity
Extremely fast 6,900 / 5,000 MB / s reading / writing
A total of 800,000 / 800,000 IOPS 4KB random read / write
Samsung Elpis Controller & Samsung 3D-NAND TLC
Lifetime (MTBF): 1.5 million hours
M.2 format with rapid PCIe 4.0 connection
The Samsung Elpis S4LV003 controller supports four PCI Express lanes of the 4.0 standard, which make a theoretical reading maximum of around 8,000 MB / s possible! In conjunction with the built-in Samsung 3D-NAND TLC, this 512 GB version of the Samsung PM9A1 achieves 6,900 MB / s reading and 5,000 MB / s writing as well as IOPS values of 800,000 in 4KB read and 800,000 in 4KB write. The modern controller chip also ensures less waste heat and thus anticipates a performance reduction due to excessively high temperatures.
Highly efficient 3D NAND TLC
With the 3D-NAND TLC (or just V-NAND v6) of the Samsung PM9A1, the memory cells are stacked in 136 layers. As a result, on the one hand, larger amounts of memory with higher read and write speeds are possible with a smaller area of the memory blocks, and on the other hand, the service life of the memory is increased and the energy efficiency is improved.
NVM Express Protocol
The Samsung PM9A1 also supports the NVM 1.3c Express protocol (NVMe for short), which has been specially developed for modern PCI Express SSDs. This replaces the old AHCI protocol, which comes from the time before the general spread of SSDs and is not optimized for highly parallelized data carrier access. NVMe thus ensures significantly lower latencies as well as multiple and deeper command queues, which are reflected in significantly more performance for non-linear transfers such as 4K read / write.
- Dimensions: 22 x 2.38 x 80 mm (W x H x D)
- Format & interface: M.2 / M-Key 2280 (PCIe 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c)
- Capacity: 512 GB
- Controller: Samsung Elpis (S4LV003)
- NAND: 3D-NAND TLC, Samsung, 136 Layer (V-NAND v6)
- Performance (PCIe 4.0):
- Read: max. 6,900 MB / s
- Write: max. 5,000 MB / s
- IOPS (4KB Random Read): 800,000
- IOPS (4KB Random Write): 800,000
- Power consumption (idle / operation): 0.035 / n / a W.
- Average life expectancy: 1.5 million hours (MTBF)
- Special features: 256bit AES, TCG Opal 2.0, NVMe 1.3c, 3D-NAND TLC, Samsung, 136 Layer (V-NAND v6)
- Manufacturer's guarantee: 3 years