Since the "Comet Lake-S" processors require a new socket due to the optimized power supply, the Intel series LGA1200 socket is used on the 400 series mainboards. Despite the increased number of pins, the actual size of the socket remains identical to older sockets, so that CPU coolers for socket LGA 115x can also be mounted on the mainboard.
The features of the MSI Z490-A Pro motherboard at a glance:
- 2x PCIe (3.0) x16 and 3x PCIe (3.0) x1
- 2x USB 3.1 (1x type A / 1x type C)
- A total of 7x USB 3.0 and 6x USB 2.0 (internal & external)
- 2x M.2 (PCIe 3.0 x4) / 6x SATA 6G
- Supports max. 128 GB DDR4 RAM up to 4,800 MHz
- RGB LED header for connecting RGB LED accessories
- Fast 2.5 Gbit LAN
The MSI Z490-A Pro in detail
The MSI Z490-A Pro is a motherboard in the ATX form factor and offers two PCIe x16 slots, one of which is connected to the CPU with 16 lanes and one to the chipset with four lanes, as well as two PCIe x1 slots for plug-in and expansion cards. The MSI Z490-A Pro also supports multi-GPU setups via AMD Crossfire / XDMA.
The other features of the mainboard also include a high-performance cooler design. The board itself is not illuminated, RGB LED components can be connected and controlled via a 4-pin RGB header (12V) and two digitally addressable 3-pin RGB headers (5V), provided they are connected to the RGB Mainboard software are compatible.
RAM and drives
Up to 128 GB DDR4 RAM in dual-channel mode can be used in the four DIMM slots. The Z490 chipset supports clock rates of up to 2,933 MHz, but the OC enables the MSI Z490-A Pro to operate RAM kits with up to 4,800 MHz!
Two M.2 slots and six SATA 6G connectors are available for connecting drives. The M.2 slots support the NVMe protocol, which enables data transfer rates of just under 4 GB / s. This means that M.2 PCIe SSDs are up to eight times faster than SATA 6G SSDs!
The MSI Z490-A Pro has a USB 3.1 port on the I / O panel with a Type-C socket. This is particularly thin and plugs can be inserted on both sides. USB 3.1 (USB 3.2 Gen. 2) achieves high transmission speeds of up to 10 Gbit / s. br>
In addition to a USB 3.1 port and two USB 3.0 type A ports, the board also offers two USB 2.0 ports and a classic PS / 2 port for mouse or keyboard. In addition, an HDMI and a display port connection are provided as signal outputs for the integrated graphics unit of the processor. The MSI Z490-A Pro offers fast 2.5 Gigabit LAN (Realtek 8125B) for wired networks.
When it comes to audio, the manufacturer relies on the Realtek ALC892 audio codec. This provides a total of six 3.5 mm jack sockets on the I / O panel and supports 7.1 surround sound. Internally, the mainboard provides a large selection of connections and headers.
The MSI Z490-A Pro offers a total of eight 4-pin PWM connections for fans and / or pumps on the main board. For the power supply, there is a 24-pin ATX connector as well as an 8-pin and a 4-pin connector on the mainboard. Overclockers are also pleased about the extensive power supply with 12 + 1 + 1 phases, which is equipped with large-area heat sinks.
The large expansion slot for the graphics card is reinforced to counteract wear and tear under frequent use, for example when the mainboard is used in test systems and benchtables. The color of the board design is dominated by black, so that illuminated components come to the fore.
Compatible only with 10th generation Intel CPUs!
- Intel Z490
- 1200 (for 10th-generation Intel CPUs)
- 4x DDR4 (2,933 MHz, up to 4,800 MHz using OC)
- Dual channel
- 128 GB max
- Slots (physical):
- 2x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 / x4)
- 3x PCIe 3.0 x1
- Compatible multi-VGA configurations: 2-way CrossFireX (Quad-GPU)
- 6x SATA 6G
- 1x M.2 (PCIe 3.0 x4 & SATA6G, 2242-22110)
- 1x M.2 (PCIe 3.0 x4 & SATA6G, 2242-2280)
- 1x USB 3.0 Type C (USB 3.2 Gen. 1, one header)
- 4x USB 3.0 (USB 3.2 Gen. 1, two headers)
- 4x USB 2.0 (two headers)
- 2x system panel connectors
- 1x front panel audio connector
- 1x TPM header
- 1x chassis intrusion header
- 1x TBT connector
- 1x serial port connector
- 1x Clear CMOS jumper
- Fan header:
- 1x CPU fan (4-pin PWM)
- 1x water cooling / CPU fan (4-pin PWM)
- 6x case fan (4-pin PWM)
- RGB header:
- 1x 4-pin RGB header (12V)
- 2x 3-pin A-RGB header (5V)
- 1x PS / 2 (keyboard / mouse)
- 1x UB 3.1 Type C (USB 3.2 Gen. 2, max. 10 Gbit / s)
- 1x USB 3.1 Type A (USB 3.2 Gen. 2, max. 10 Gbit / s)
- 2x USB 3.0 Type A (USB 3.2 Gen. 1, max. 5 Gbit / s)
- 2x USB 2.0
- 1x HDMI
- 1x DisplayPort
- 1x 2.5 gigabit LAN (Realtek 8125B)
- 6x 3.5 mm jack (Realtek ALC892)
- 1x 24-pin ATX 12V
- 1x 8-pin ATX 12V
- 1x 4-pin ATX 12V
- Scope of delivery:
- 1x mainboard
- 1x driver CD
- 1x MSI case sticker
- 2x SATA data cable 1x user manual
- 1x promo postcard
- 1x postcard for product registration
- 1x MSI product catalog
- 1x quick start guide