PCIe NVMe SSDs connect directly to the CPU on AMD's X399 motherboards, and entire 12 PCIe lanes are reserved by Threadripper for this purpose. This allows the extreme read and write rates of NVMe M.2 and U.2 SSDs to be used optimally without being slowed down by the data set being redirected by the chipset. The connection via four PCI Express 3.0 lanes per PCIe NVMe slot in U.2 or M.2 format enables enormously high data transfer rates of up to 32 Gbit / s, which is almost eight times as fast as SATA 6G.
The X399 chipset on Socket TR4 motherboards will be connected to the processor via four PCIe lanes as usual, and the X399 platform natively supports USB 3.1, so typically no additional USB controllers are needed to support the extremely fast USB Standard with maximum speeds of 10 Gbps per port. Main memory is operated on X399 motherboards in particularly fast quad-channel mode and via OC depending on the motherboard RAM clock rates beyond the 4000 MHz mark are possible.
As another feature, X399 mainboards support overclocking of the Ryzen thread ripper CPUs, and the motherboards with the TR4 socket, along with the threadripper processors, form AMD's enthusiast platform for gamers and content creators.
Features of the Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme in E-ATX format
The Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme is a motherboard in E-ATX format and has four PCI Express 3.0 slots for graphics cards, two of which are connected to the chipset with full 16- or 8-lanes. Additional expansion cards can be plugged into a single PCIe x16 (4-lane) slot, and as an X399 motherboard, the Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme also supports AMD's Crossfire and NVIDIA SLI technology for multi-GPU setups. The eight RAM banks take up to 128 GB of DDR4 memory, whereby the corresponding memory can run natively at a maximum of 2,666 megahertz.
The special features of the Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme motherboard at a glance:
- 4x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 / x16 / x8 / x8 / 4) for high-end graphics cards
- 3x USB 3.1: Type A & Type C + 3x M.2 slot PCIe 3.0 x4
- DDR4 memory up to 2,933 MHz in quad-channel mode
- BT / WLAN module & 1x 10 Gigabit & 1x Gigabit LAN
- RGB LED lighting including RGB LED headers
- Modern UEFI BIOS including temperature monitoring
The board manages data carriers such as SSDs and hard disks via eight SATA 6G ports (including RAID support) as well as three M.2 slots, which are connected directly to the CPU with four PCI Express 3.0 lanes each. It supports the advanced NVM Express protocol, which has been specially optimized for highly parallelized disk access of modern PCIe SSDs.
A small highlight of the Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme is also that the I / O panel on the back of the motherboard has a USB 3.1 connector with Type C socket. The new USB type C port is very thin and can finally be plugged in on both sides. USB 3.1 or USB 3.1 Gen 2 achieves maximum speeds of 10 Gbit / s per port. Another special feature is the 10 GB / s LAN port, which is joined by two more GBit LAN ports. In addition, there is a USB 3.1-type A-port and eight USB 3.0 ports, which round off the connection repertoire for peripherals.
Special refinements of the Gigabyte X399 Aorus Xtreme include LED lighting with RGB LED headers and a WLAN module that even supports the particularly fast ac standard. Other internal ports include a USB 3.1 Type-C header for a port, a total of seven 4-pin headers for pumps, CPU and chassis fans, additional power connectors for stable overclocking, and last but not least, numerous internal status / debug LEDs, headers and switches.
Note: Due to the size of the Ryzen Threadripper CPU, the TR4 socket differs greatly from conventional sockets. When inserting the CPU, please carefully observe the instructions in the assembly instructions of the CPU or the mainboard! It is an LGA socket! The pins are on the socket, not the CPU.
- Format: ATX (305 x 269 mm)
- Chipset: AMD X399
- Socket: TR4 (for Ryzen Threadripper)
- 8x DDR4 (2,933 MHz)
- Max. 128 GB
- 2x PCIe 3.0x16
- 2x PCIe 3.0 x16 (electric x8)
- 1x PCIe 2.0 x16 (electric x1)
- Multi-GPU configurations: 4-way CrossFireX (16/8/16/8), 4-way SLI (16/8/16/8)
- 6x SATA 6G (RAID 0, 1, 10)
- 3x M.2 (M-Key, 2x 22110, 1x 2280, PCIe 3.0x4)
- 1x USB 3.1 Type C header (1 port)
- 1x USB 3.1 Gen 1 header (2 ports)
- 2x USB 2.0 header (4 ports)
- 4x LED header
- 2x RGB LED header
- 7x fan header (4-pin)
- 1x Clear CMOS Button
- 1x debug-switch + LED
- 1x power switch
- 1x reset switch
- Power / Reset / Front Audio
- 2x USB 3.1 (1 × Type A and Type C each)
- 8x USB 3.0
- 1x 10 Gigabit LAN (Aqauntia)
- 2x Gigabit LAN (i210AT)
- 1x S / PDIF
- 5x audio (7.1 ALC1220)
- 2x WLAN antenna (included)
- 1x 24-pin ATX12V (for motherboard)
- 2x 8-pin ATX12V (for motherboard)
- 1x 4-pin ATX12V (for motherboard)
- Special features: integrated RGB LED lighting
- Manufacturer's warranty: 3 years