The AM4 platform-based processors continue to drive higher clock speeds, an improved boost function, and the advanced XFR2 automatic overclocking feature to once again scare the competition.
The AMD Ryzen 7 2700X at a glance:
- AMD Ryzen 7
- 8 "Zen" cores with only 105 watts of Thermal Design Power (TDP)
- 16 threads thanks to Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT)
- Very high single and multi-thread performance
- Basic clock of 3.7 GHz & 4.3 GHz Turbo with Precision Boost 2
- With automatic overclocking function XFR2
- Free multiplier for manual overclocking (unlocked CPU)
- Large unified cache memory: 4 MB L2 & 16 MB L3
- Highly efficient, non-planar 12 nanometer LP transistors
- AVX2 instruction set extension for complex vector calculations
- Two AES units for fast, reliable data encryption
- Modern AM4 platform with extensive features
- Supports DDR4 RAM with guaranteed 2,933 MHz (dual-channel)
- Includes AMD Wraith Prism CPU cooler with RGB LED ring!
The AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Octacore CPU with 4.3 GHz Precision Boost
The AMD Ryzen 7 2700X is a processor from the "Pinnacle Ridge" generation with eight physical CPU cores, which can simultaneously process two threads at a time thanks to Simultaneous Multithreading (SMT), so that the number of cores with the additional eight virtual cores is effective doubled to 16. The eight-core top model uses a high clock speed of 3.7 GHz per core, which precisely adapts to the respective utilization scenario in real time with Precision Boost 2 - regardless of whether it is in games or applications - and can therefore be used in fine steps on the fly under the TDP increased in each case up to 4.3 GHz turbo.
The said TDP is only 105 watts, which is very little compared to other AMD 8-core processors - especially considering the increased clock speeds of the AMD Ryzen 7 2700X. Manufactured using the advanced 12nm FLP process, the processor has a total of 4MB of Level 2 cache and 16MB of Level 3 cache, which is called a "Smart Prefetch Cache."
The CPU provides 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes, each with four lanes reserved for connection to the motherboard chipset and for connecting NVMe SSDs. This leaves 16 lanes to communicate with graphics cards that also support NVIDIA SLI technology for multiple graphics cards in x16 or x8 + x8 mode. In terms of RAM, DDR4 RAM bars with 2,933 MHz are now supported, whereby OC also allows higher clock rates.
Extended Frequency Range (XFR) for automatic overclocking
With AMD Ryzen, manual overclocking no longer bothers anyone, because the CPU does it all by itself: The AMD Ryzen 7 2700X features the second-generation Auto OC Extended Frequency Range feature (XFR2) equipped, which can increase the processor clock far beyond the factory set limit of the maximum boost cycle, if the used cooling offers appropriate reserves. As soon as the integrated sensors of the CPU register additional cooling capacities, the Ryzen CPU automatically adjusts its clock rates to the respective cooling solution.
No intervention by the user is necessary - overclocking has never been so easy! Depending on whether the processor is kept at air temperature by air cooling with a comparatively small boxed cooler, a larger (dual) tower cooler, powerful AiO or custom water cooling or even extremely cold liquid nitrogen (LN2), XFR2 guarantees unlimited clock rates in the premium and enthusiast range depending on the available cooling capacity.
Unlocked CPU: child-friendly overclocking thanks to free multiplier
Alternatively, all AMD Ryzen CPUs are unlocked and have a free multiplier, as usual from the "Black Editions" and "K" versions of previous model series, so Overclocker can easily handle the relatively high clock speeds directly in the BIOS or UEFI or using software tools, an appropriate motherboard with OC-capable chipset, such as AMD X470, and sufficient additional cooling provided.
Notes: This is a boxed version including AMD Wraith Prism CPU cooler with RGB LED ring. To use an AMD Ryzen CPU, an AM4 motherboard is required.
- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
- Zen + / Pinnacle Ridge
- Production: 12 nm LP
- CPU cores:
- 8/16 (physical / virtual)
- CPU clock:
- Base clock: 3.7 GHz
- Boost cycle: max. 4.3 GHz (Precision Boost 2)
- OC clock: 4.3+ GHz (automatically via XFR2)
- Level 2 cache:
- 4 MB (512 KB per core)
- Level 3 cache:
- 16 MB (2 MB per core)
- Integrated PCI Express 3.0 lanes:
- x24 (x16 for GPU + x4 for SSD + x4 for chipset)
- Random access memory:
- Memory controller: internal
- Memory channels: 2
- Memory Standard: DDR4 (ECC & non-ECC)
- 105 watts
- AT 4
- Instruction set extensions:
- SMT (Simultaneous Multithreading)
- X86-64 (64-bit processor AMD64)
- AMD-V (Compute Virtualization)
- VT-Vi (I / O MMU Virtualization)
- 2x AES units (encryption)
- AVX & AVX2 (Advanced Vector Extensions)
- NX-bit (anti-virus protection) & EPP (extended anti-virus protection)
- TBT 3.0 (Turbo Core 3.0)
- special feature:
- Free Multiplier (unlocked)